Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Numbers

I never liked numbers, ever since I was a kid they've always given me trouble. I failed algebra twice in high school. 

With step trekking, I find inconsistency after inconsistency. I invested in a little clicker counter so I could accurately ascertain the correct numbers. The alleged largest set of steps, Rising Main in Fineview has three different counts; my number, the number stenciled on the pavement by the Fineview Citizens Council, and the number in Bob's book. I double checked my count and I know that I am right. However, I am not going to argue with a community group over it. So how did Bob Regan, author of the only book on the subject of city steps, get the number 331? Who's right about Rising Main Ave? Me of course. I don't mean to discredit Bob Regan by any means. I have read his book a few times in fact and found it to be not only informative but beautifully written, wry, and thoroughly entertaining. I just mean to point out that his facts are wrong. For instance, he has listed the longest sets in Pittsburgh respectively as follows.

(My research is in bold.)

Ray Avenue(Brookline)- 378, 258

Jacob Street (Brookline)- 364, 121 & 124 (there are 2 sets that still don't add up to equal 364)

57th Street (Lawrencville/Stanton Heights)-345, 349

Rising Main (Fineview)- 331, 371

Yard Way (South Side Slopes)- 317, 315

This is Rising Main Avenue in Fineview.

When I read the book for the first time 4 years ago, I was motivated to go find these steps and start a new exercise routine. I live in Brookline so I was thrilled that we had 2 of the largest sets of steps in the city, proud in fact. But how disappointing was it to get to Jacob Street and get only half the steps I thought. How did Bob Get these numbers? Well, in his own words...
"The Author conducted the first complete survey of the city steps in the summer of 1999 using a combination of manual methods and sophisticated computer technology. At the start of the survey, he obtained a nascent database of the steps compiled by the City of Pittsburgh as well as digital maps of the streets and rights of way..."
There is one problem I can see already. How sophisticated was computer technology in 1999 really...compared to now. I can't be critical of that I suppose. My research using google Earth is far easier that I suppose Bob's was. I can however be critical of the fact that he clearly states that he "...walked the steps to obtain a count" when he clearly did not. I'm sure he walked some of them...most of them even, but then again, when you're listing the city's longest sets in a special section in your meticulously researched book, one would think he'd have the numbers right.

I digress. Perhaps it was an clerical error. Maybe while writing the book, all those numbers and facts got mixed up. Who knows? Whether Bob actually walked the steps or not isn't important. He's an older man than myself and I don't blame him. During hot summer days hiking through the South Side Slopes last year, I almost passed out a few times. Bob wrote a great book and did extensive research and that cannot be discredited.

But credit needs to be where credit is due. And Brookline should not have the credit. Fineview clearly has the largest set of steps. 

So the real argument shouldn't be about numbers, unless we're talking dollar bills. The only way to preserve the city steps now is to raise awareness. 

They're disappearing fast and I suppose the numbers aren't so important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment