Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Spring Garden and Troy Hill

My mom gave me her old camera so I have been out every day since Sunday trying to figure the damn thing out. It takes great pictures, don't get me wrong but I have limited experience with things like F stops.

Spring Garden lies between Troy Hill and Spring Hill. The Black Locust trees and honeysuckle are in bloom so this particular trip was a treat for the old schnoz. It would have been great if I had remembered my tissues...damn allergies.


Spring Hill is behind Troy Hill if you're looking toward downtown. It makes for some interesting hiking. You can walk down spring hill then up Troy Hill and then right back down like some kind of roller coaster. I recommend starting at the top of Steine St. Then walking down Homer Street till you get to Diana Street (likely the most twisted and crazy looking set of steps in Pittsburgh). From there it's up. Meander your way to Arcola Way. I am not giving you specific directions, people. We all have smart phones. Then up and over Troy Hill via Basin Street. Follow Province Street to right before the intersection of Goettmann. On your left will be an unassuming pathway that runs between two houses. This is the Vinial Street steps. They go pretty much straight down. It was kind of scary to be honest. I found myself using the railings.


I hope there are some of you that are feeling inspired to be doing this right now. If you wait too much later in the season, the ivy will have overcome many a set of steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment